Thursday, September 4, 2014

WIP Wednesday 9/3/14

I have been getting so much done while being home this week! After I finished decorating for fall, I was in the mood for some pumpkin.  I remembered seeing on Pinterest a recipe for a copycat version of the Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Syrup.  I am so addicted to their Pumpkin Spice Latte's, but they are a bit pricey. I decided that I would test it out on Monday.  I don't have a fancy coffee maker, just a Mr. Coffee type Keurig machine.  I don't know how to make a latte so I knew that it wouldn't taste the same as Starbucks.  



The recipe was really easy.  There were only a few ingredients and it took me about 20 minutes to make.  I put some in my coffee and you can definitely taste the pumpkin spice!  I'm so glad I can make my own pumpkin coffee beverage every day without spending a small fortune!

After I made the syrup, I decided to fall even further into the pumpkin patch and baked a pumpkin pie.  Nothing fancy, just used the Libby's recipe on the back of the can.



Along with making all things pumpkin, I worked on some knitting and stitching.  I started my Halloween socks a couple of weeks ago.  I'm using The Cyborg's Craft Room Assockilate in This Isn't a Man self-striping.  The original Halloween is my all time favorite horror movie.  I knit a pair using the variegated version of this colorway last year and when I saw it was available as self-striping, I needed it.  I finished the first sock last week and started the second.  

The Cyborg's Craft Room Assockilate-This Isn't a Man self-striping; bag by Bird Leg Bags on Etsy
I also cast on the Pedestrian Crossing cowl by Melissa Sibley.  This will be a gift so I am using some wonderfully soft Malabrigo Worsted to knit it up.  The colorway is Plena and it reminds me of crisp fall evenings.  I need to go pick out the perfect buttons for this today while hanging out with Jen.

Pedestrian Crossing in Malabrigo Worsted-Plena 616; bag by Bird Leg Bags on Etsy
The last knitting project I started is a bunny.  Every year our church has a basket social.  People donate gift baskets and you purchase tickets to try to win baskets you like.  This year, one of the girls donated an antique cradle and my mom knit this beautiful baby blanket for the cradle.  She asked if I would make a bunny to place inside.  I am using the Nummy Bunny pattern.  The only mods I plan on doing are keeping it a solid color instead of striping and not stuffing the arms and legs.  
Nummy Bunny using Knit Picks Brava Worsted; bag by MostlyMunchies


I have also been working on clue 3 of The Frosted Pumpkin Stitchery's Halloween Town club.  This pattern is so cute and each clue has me falling even more in love with it.


That's about all I have been up to this week.  How about you, Jen?  

Wow! You have been super productive on your week off! Much more than me heh. I just started a part time job working for a friend so my time for crafting has gone down heh.  The new term started in the HPKCHC so I eagerly cast on my OWL project when it was approved within hours of me submitting my proposal! So my OWL last term was the Dr. Who scarf for my brother.  My OWL for the fall term is a project that was requested by my sister-in-law (my brother's wife). They are quite knit worthy and appreciate handmade gifts so I was happy to say yes.  She loves to read, and even has her master's in library sciences.  She picked out the Jane Eyre Shawl from the Literary Knits book. She requested a pretty gray color, and I think this yarn is perfect.  It is Cascade 220 in Charcoal Gray.   I have finished the shoulder shaping and can now start the Flame Lace section. This shawl is different from others I have made before because it has shoulder shaping, and the lace pattern is active on both sides. It is a huge shawl, and I think it will be a cozy wrap for my SIL. 


The next project that I have been working on is my sock yarn blanket. I cast this blanket on September 5, 2013. So I thought I would see how far that I had gotten in one year. I have 178 squares.  I cannot believe how far I have gotten on this project.  When I started I thought it would end like my failed attempt at hexipuffs. That I would make a few squares, get bored and set it aside.  This blanket is addictive. Whenever I pick it up I find it hard to make just one square. As soon as I weave in the ends in I am picking up the next mini-skein.  The blanket is so large is actually makes me warm to work on it, so this should see a lot of knitting time in the upcoming fall and winter.  

I spent the last few weeks stitching as well. I picked up my long forgotten Autumn Sampler.  I started the border last year, and did not even finish that!  As the weather got cooler it made me think of all things Fall! So I picked it back up in hopes of finishing it this year in time to frame and hang it. Just 10 more squares to go.

Oh I needed another needle minder since my cute Matroyshka one from Jess was is on my other sampler. So I found this cute one from Pinoy Stitch on Etsy.

I also have been working on my Once Upon a Time Sampler and have made good progress on the September square, Rapunzel.  


No comments:

Post a Comment